A hearty chicken soup.
- 1 smaller whole chicken (about 3lb), cut up
- 12 cups water
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 big fresh tomato
- 2 cups homemade egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped medium celery stalk (reserve celery leaves, if any)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill weed
- 3-4 small branches fresh thyme
- Sauté the onion and carrots until soft in a Dutch oven or deep stock pot.
- Add the chicken and water then bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to medium-low heat and simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour (will depend on chicken).
- Skim any froth.
- Add salt, black pepper, tomato and celery.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the egg noodles and lemon juice and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Add the fresh herbs (including celery leaves, if any).
- Cover, remove from heat.
- Let stand for at least 30 minutes to let flavors blend.
Recipe submitted by Peace Corps Moldova staff