A hearty chicken soup.
- 1 smaller whole chicken (about 3lb), cut up
- 12 cups water
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 big fresh tomato
- 2 cups homemade egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped medium celery stalk (reserve celery leaves, if any)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill weed
- 3-4 small branches fresh thyme
- Sauté the onion and carrots until soft in a Dutch oven or deep stock pot.
- Add the chicken and water then bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to medium-low heat and simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour (will depend on chicken).
- Skim any froth.
- Add salt, black pepper, tomato and celery.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the egg noodles and lemon juice and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Add the fresh herbs (including celery leaves, if any).
- Cover, remove from heat.
- Let stand for at least 30 minutes to let flavors blend.
Recipe submitted by Peace Corps Moldova staff
Help us understand our audience
If you are in the U.S., please enter your five-digit zip code to help us better understand who uses our resources for educators.