Cabbage rolls stuffed with wheat berries and onions.
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 2 cups wheat berries (use rice as an alternative)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup vegetable or olive oil
- 1 can tomato paste
- Black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to boil
with a sprinkle of salt.
- Peel outer leaves off cabbage and
cut in half.
- Drop cabbage leaves into boiling
water for 1-2 minutes
- Drain and set leaves aside.
- In a separate pan, sauté onions in
- Add wheat berries (or rice),
herbs, and salt and paprika to taste.
- Sauté for 5-10 minutes (wheat will
not be cooked).
- Remove from heat.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of wheat mixture
in the center of a cabbage leaf and fold closed like an envelope.
- Repeat with cabbage leaves until
you run out of filling.
- Place rolls in the bottom of a
large pot (pot should be around halfway filled with dolmas).
- Add tomato paste and enough water
to just cover the stacked dolmas.
- Place a heavy heat-proof plate directly
on top of the dolmas and cover.
- Cook over medium-low heat for one
hour or until the wheat is cooked (dolmas will expand to
- almost fill the pot!).
- Check water level occasionally and
add more if necessary to keep the dolma from burning.
#sidedish #snack #vegan #vegetarian
Recipe submitted by Nara Martirosian, counterpart to a Peace Corps Volunteer in Armenia.