A soup made of beets and cabbage.
Makes about 6 to 8 servings.
- If the beet is hard, boil it for 45 minutes to an hour, until it is medium-soft.
- In a large soup pot with 6-8 cups water, bring the chicken leg to a boil.
- Wash tomatoes and add to boiling water, whole.
- Boil 15 minutes, and then remove the tomatoes and chicken.
- Clean chicken meat off the bone and set aside for later use.
- Leave the bone in the pot for flavor.
- In a separate pan, heat the grated beet, carrot, and onion in oil for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sliced green pepper, and saute 5 minutes more.
- Add potatoes and white beans.
- Simmer 5 minutes, until potatoes are softened but still keep their form.
- Add fried mixture, bouillon, tomato paste, boiled tomatoes and chicken meat to the pot.
- Simmer 15 minutes and then add sliced cabbage, parsley, and dill.
- Simmer 10 more minutes or until beans are fully cooked.
- Serve hot with a spoonful of sour creme.
Recipe submitted by Anatoliy Sakhno, Peace Corps Staff