Tom Yam Kung
A spicy and sour soup with shrimp.
Makes about 4 servings.
- 7-8 prawns
- 5 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 1/2 cups oyster mushrooms (quartered)
- 1 lemon grass stem (sliced)
- 7-8 dry or fresh kaffir lime leaves (can substitute lime zest)
- 2 sprigs cilantro (coarsely chopped)
- 5 fresh Thai chili peppers
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (or fish sauce)
- 2 tablespoons red chili paste
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- Clean, peel, and vein the prawns.
- Tear kaffir lime leaves in halves, removing central stems.
- Pound chilies and slice in halves.
- Pour chicken broth in a pot and bring to boil on medium-high heat.
- Add sliced lemon grass and torn kaffir lime leaves; let them boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add prawns and mushroom, boil for 2 to 3 minutes, and then turn off the heat.
- Season with soy sauce (or fish sauce), lime juice, chili paste, and pounded chili peppers.
- Adjust seasoning as you like.
- Add cilantro, stir thoroughly, and serve immediately.
Recipe submitted by Nipawan Sawatdipanich, Peace Corps Thailand Staff
Help us understand our audience
If you are in the U.S., please enter your five-digit zip code to help us better understand who uses our resources for educators.