Tom Yam Kung
A spicy and sour soup with shrimp.
Makes about 4 servings.
- 7-8 prawns
- 5 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 1/2 cups oyster mushrooms (quartered)
- 1 lemon grass stem (sliced)
- 7-8 dry or fresh kaffir lime leaves (can substitute lime zest)
- 2 sprigs cilantro (coarsely chopped)
- 5 fresh Thai chili peppers
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (or fish sauce)
- 2 tablespoons red chili paste
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- Clean, peel, and vein the prawns.
- Tear kaffir lime leaves in halves, removing central stems.
- Pound chilies and slice in halves.
- Pour chicken broth in a pot and bring to boil on medium-high heat.
- Add sliced lemon grass and torn kaffir lime leaves; let them boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add prawns and mushroom, boil for 2 to 3 minutes, and then turn off the heat.
- Season with soy sauce (or fish sauce), lime juice, chili paste, and pounded chili peppers.
- Adjust seasoning as you like.
- Add cilantro, stir thoroughly, and serve immediately.
Recipe submitted by Nipawan Sawatdipanich, Peace Corps Thailand Staff