A quintessentially Macedonian pot of beans.
Makes about 3 servings.
- 1 cup white beans (pre-soaked overnight)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (chopped with seeds)
- 1 sprig mint (or 1 teaspoon dried mint)
- 2 tablespoons dried red pepper (use dried Bukovo pepper or paprika as an alternative)
- 2 -3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook beans in about 3 cups water for 30 minutes or until softened.
- Simmer onion and green pepper with oil in a saucepan over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour beans into an oven-safe dish (in Macedonia, a tavche or earthenware pot is used).
- Add dried red pepper, salt, black pepper, and mint.
- Cook around 1 hour at 350° Fahrenheit until the top becomes brown and slightly crispy.
#appetizer #smallplate #vegan #vegetarian #glutenfree
Recipe submitted by Margaret O'Hora - Peace Corps Volunteer, Macedonia (2007-2009)
Help us understand our audience
If you are in the U.S., please enter your five-digit zip code to help us better understand who uses our resources for educators.