Tamal de Maicena
A sweet treat made with milk, corn, and vanilla.
- 8 1/2 cups milk
- A little over 1 cup heavy cream
- Queso fresco (the size of a deck-of-cards, grated)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups and 2 tablespoons maicena (cornstarch)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 stick or 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Boil all but 1 cup of the milk.
- While milk is coming to a boil, in a separate bowl, mix the remaining cup of milk with the cream, egg, maicena, cheese, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- When the milk begins to boil, turn the heat down, and add the butter and sugar.
- Add the maicena mixture and stir continuously. The mixture will thicken, which should take about 5 minutes, and will come back to a boil. When the mixture kind of blobs off the spoon you know it’s ready. Pour the mixture into a 10-inch round pan and bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
#dessert #vegetarian #glutenfree
Recipe submitted by Hannah Kelley-Bell - Peace Corps Volunteer, Costa Rica (2010-2012)