Bulgarian meatball soup.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 6 tablespoons rice (uncooked)
- 1 large green bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (thinly sliced)
- 3-4 tomatoes (chopped)
- 1-2 small chili peppers (any small, spicy chili pepper of choice)
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1/2 bunch green onions (sliced)
- 1 egg
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- Black pepper
- Combine ground beef, rice,
paprika, and savory.
- Add a teaspoon each of salt and
pepper to the mixture.
- Roll mixture into 1 inch balls and roll in flour to cover the outsides.
- Add 6 cups water to a large soup
- Add in water, bouillon cubes, 1
tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, green onions, green pepper, carrots,
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and
simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add meatballs, cover and bring to
a boil again.
- Add chilies and simmer for around
40 minutes, covered.
- Add parsley in the last 5 minutes.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Just before serving, beat egg with lemon juice.
- Stir 1 to 2 tablespoons of hot
soup into the egg mixture.
- Stir egg mixture into soup.
- Heat until soup is thickened, but
do not let boil.
- Serve hot.
Recipe submitted by Jasmine Lund – Peace Corps Volunteer, Bulgaria (2004-2006).