Spicy Chili Oil
A spicy kick to add to sauces or soups.
- 1 cup crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Sichuan numbing peppercorns
- 6 star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a medium pot over
medium heat with Sichuan peppercorns, star anise, cinnamon, and bay leaves.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Make sure the oil does not get to
- If bubbles start to pop up, turn
heat down slightly.
- While you wait, mix together red
pepper flakes and salt in a large heat-proof bowl.
- After the 30 minutes are up,
strain the spices out of the oil.
- Keep the oil and discard the
- Pour oil into red pepper flakes
and mix well.
- Let cool.
- Add salt to taste.
- Store oil in sealed container in
the fridge for up to half a year.
- Use as base for Dumpling Dipping
#sauce #vegan #vegetarian #glutenfree
Recipe submitted by Reilly Knop - Peace Corps Volunteer, China (2014-2016)