Roasted Eggplant Spread
A Mediterranean spread to go with bread.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 cups white kidney beans (pre-cooked)
- 1 medium red onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 cup Kalamata olives (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 bunch parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup olive oil
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Cut eggplant in half, length-wise.
- Coat eggplant with some of the olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and roast in oven until soft and browned.
- Sauté onion and garlic over medium-low heat until onion is translucent.
- Let onions and garlic and eggplant cool.
- Add onions, garlic, eggplant, beans, and remaining olive oil to a food processor or blender and mix until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and mix in tomatoes, olives, and parsley.
- Squeeze the juice of the half lemon over the bowl and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with pita or other bread.
#appetizer #snack #vegan #vegetarian #glutenfree
Recipe submitted by Sarah Brooner - Peace Corps Volunteer, Bulgaria (2004-2006)