Caribbean Rice and Beans with Chicken
A classic rice and bean dish made with coconut milk and chicken from the Caribbean side of Costa Rica.
- 1 1/2 cups red beans
- 4 cups white rice
- 20 sprigs thyme
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 onions
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2-3 Liters coconut milk
- 4 stalks celery and leaves
- 1 Chile Panameño
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (for cooking the chicken)
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken and thighs with skin on
- 3 Tbsp Cilantro
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon chipotle paste
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 packet of dried chicken stock or bullion
- 1 tablespoon of garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- Put the beans in a pot with just enough water to cover them, turn the stove on low heat, and let them simmer.
- Add 7-10 sprigs of thyme, 1 diced onion, and one liter of coconut milk to the pot and let everything simmer for around 1 hour.
- After an hour, dice 2 cloves of garlic, 1/2 of the red bell pepper, celery, and one chile panameño, and add to the mixture.
- Then add another 1/2 liter of coconut milk.
- Let simmer for 1-2 more hours until the beans are tender.
- Put skillet on low heat
- Put sugar in the pan and let it melt until it turns golden brown.
- Add a small amount of oil to the pan (around 2 tablespoons) and add chicken.
- Cook and coat the chicken until the skin is covered with the golden brown sugar mixture.
- Dice the second onion, one more clove of garlic, 5 sprigs of cilantro, the second 1/2 of the red pepper, celery (with the leaves) and add to the mixture.
- Add 7 more sprigs of thyme and let sit for about 20 min on low heat.
- Add a Liter of coconut milk to the pan, add spices, pepper, the packet of chicken stock, a dollop of garlic paste, and a dollop of chipotle paste.
- Let sit for 10-15 more minutes until the coconut milk is simmering.
- Once the coconut milk is simmering, add another 1/2 Liter of coconut milk, 4 bay leaves, about 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro and salt.
- Cook until chicken has cooked all the way through.
Put Chicken and Beans Together
- Dump the bean mixture (juices, sprigs and all) into a deep skillet or pot and keep simmering over low heat.
- Add 4 cups of white rice to the mix.
- Cook until rice is fully cooked.
- To serve, scoop a generous amount of the rice and beans mixture into a bowl and top with chicken.
- Make sure to pour a hearty amount of the sauce from the chicken onto the rice.
- Typically, rice and beans is served with sweet plantain sautéed in butter.
#maindish #glutenfree #staplefood
Recipe submitted by Maddy Eldrege - Peace Corps Volunteer, Costa Rica (2018)
Help us understand our audience
If you are in the U.S., please enter your five-digit zip code to help us better understand who uses our resources for educators.