A staple of Romanian and Moldovan celebrations.
- 2.5 pound whole chicken
- 3 large parsley roots
- 2 large carrots
- 4 sheets of leaf gelatin or 4 teaspoons powdered gelatin
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 whole head garlic, crushed
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and peel the root vegetables.
- Cut the carrot and parsley into thirds. Cut the onion into large wedges.
- Place vegetables in vegetable stock in a large stock pot and boil until fork tender.
- Remove vegetables from stock and set aside.
- Taste stock and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Place the whole chicken in the vegetable stock and boil, covered, until chicken is cooked.
- Add crushed garlic to stock pot and continue to boil chicken for 5 more minutes.
- Remove chicken from stock pot. Dissolve gelatin in a little water and then add to stock pot.
- Piece the chicken and place in glass casserole dish.
- Pour stock through a sieve over the chicken pieces and cover completely with liquid.
- Let the stock cool completely and then put the dish in the refrigerator.
- Leave the dish in the refrigerator until the aspic has set completely.
- Serve cold by slicing the aspic and serving with a piece of the chicken.
Recipe submitted by Peace Corps Moldova staff