Tasty boiled dumplings from Kyrgyz Republic
- 2 pounds ground beef or mutton
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 - 3/4 cups warm water
- Pepper to taste
- Combine meat, onions, and oil in large mixing bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Sift flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the center.
- Pour egg and 1/2 cup water into center of flour.
- Mix with hands, adding remaining water by the tablespoon until dough forms but is not sticky.
- Knead dough 2 minutes; let rest 30 minutes.
- Transfer dough to floured board and divide into 4 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Use a small glass to cut dough into circles.
- Place 1/2 tablespoon of meat mixture atop dough.
- Dip fingers into warm water and fold dough into half-moon shape.
- Bring corners together and pinch to hold.
- Cook in a large pot of boiling salted water until they float to the top, about 10 minutes.
- Serve in a broth or on their own, topped with sour cream, butter, or chili paste.
To make potato dumplings, replace the meat with mashed potatoes and omit one onion.