Moussaka - Bulgarian Rhodopean Style
Layered potato and meat dish.
- 2 cups ground beef
- 5 2/3 cups potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 2 tomatoes (finely diced)
- 1/3 cup parsley (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- While oven is heating, brown meat and onions in a pan with olive oil.
- Mix together meat, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste in a baking pan.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes until potatoes are fully cooked.
- In a bowl, mix together eggs, yogurt, and flour.
- Pour yogurt mixture over the top of the baking pan and return to oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with cold yogurt on the side.
Recipe submitted by Bonnie Drenik – Peace Corps Volunteer, Bulgaria (2003-2005 ).