A staple from Uganda, made from steamed green cooking bananas.
- 10 matoke (green cooking bananas, can substitute unripe plantains)
- 5 cups water
- Peel the bananas and wash them in cold water.
- Put into a pot, add the water, and cover.
- Boil for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat and continue to cook. The mixture will turn yellow when well-cooked.
- Drain the water. Mash the bananas with a wooden spoon.
- Wrap the mashed food in foil and place on a steaming basket.
- Place the steamer inside a large pot and add water. Steam on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Serve while hot.
This dish is a staple food in Uganda. Staples are foods that are eaten regularly, often daily or with every meal. In is usually eaten alongside a soup or sauce.
Search #staplefood to explore other daily dishes around the globe.