Mashed plantains with a fried egg on top.
- 1 green plantain
- 1 egg (fried)
- 1/2 red onion (cut into 1/4-inch strips)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Boil the plantain.
- While the plantain is boiling,
sauté the onion in olive oil until caramelized.
- When the plantain is fork-tender,
drain the water and reserve the liquid.
- Mash the plantain, adding the
liquid as necessary (it should be the consistency of mashed potatoes).
- Add olive oil and salt to taste.
- Serve the mashed plantains topped
with the onion and a fried egg.
#sidedish #vegetarian #glutenfree
Recipe submitted by Hannah Kelley-Bell - Peace Corps Volunteer, Costa Rica (2010-2002)