Mashed plantains with a fried egg on top.
- 1 green plantain
- 1 egg (fried)
- 1/2 red onion (cut into 1/4-inch strips)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Boil the plantain.
- While the plantain is boiling, sauté the onion in olive oil until caramelized.
- When the plantain is fork-tender, drain the water and reserve the liquid.
- Mash the plantain, adding the liquid as necessary (it should be the consistency of mashed potatoes).
- Add olive oil and salt to taste.
- Serve the mashed plantains topped with the onion and a fried egg.
#sidedish #vegetarian #glutenfree
Recipe submitted by Hannah Kelley-Bell - Peace Corps Volunteer, Costa Rica (2010-2002)
Help us understand our audience
If you are in the U.S., please enter your five-digit zip code to help us better understand who uses our resources for educators.