Light, fluffy, and not-too-sweet donuts
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- vegetable oil for frying donuts
- In a small bowl mix the yeast and warm water and stir.
- Let sit for 5 minutes until yeast dissolves.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add flour, salt, cardamom, and cinnamon and mix.
- Add vegetable oil, egg, coconut milk, sugar and yeast mixture.
- Mix until the dough is not too sticky no longer sticks to the side of the bowl. Add additional flour as needed.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let it rest for about an hour until the dough rises a bit.
- Heat oil in a frying pan or a wok.
- Cut the dough in about 6 pieces to make it easier to roll and cut.
- Roll each piece so that the dough is about 1 cm (less than 1/2 inch) thick.
- Cut into triangles and place in hot oil.
- Fry on both sides.
- Place donuts on paper towels to soak up the oil.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Sprinkle with powder sugar and enjoy.
Photo courtesy of Jordyn Ball, PCV Malawi
Help us understand our audience
If you are in the U.S., please enter your five-digit zip code to help us better understand who uses our resources for educators.