Khmer Fish Soup
A creamy fish soup with lemongrass.
- 1 pound sea bass (or other white fish)
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts (crushed)
- 2 cups fish or vegetable stock
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup tamarind juice
- 1 small piece fresh galangal (use fresh ginger as a substitute, grated)
- 1 small piece of fresh turmeric (grated)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 lemongrass stalks (chopped)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 teaspoon kaffir lime zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Mash together lemongrass, garlic, galangal (or ginger), turmeric, lime leaves, and lime zest in a bowl.
- In a large saucepan, boil half the coconut milk until it turns creamy.
- Add the lemongrass paste and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the shrimp paste, fish sauce and fish and fry on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the remainder of the coconut milk, tamarind juice and stock, and simmer for 5 more minutes. Stir in peanuts, sugar and salt.
- Serve hot with rice.
#soup #seafood #glutenfree