Rice mixed with spices and veggies.
- 1 cup dried black eyed peas (pre-soaked overnight)
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 2 medium eggplants (sliced into 1/2 inch rounds)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 6-8 tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 1 cup green beans (chopped)
- 2 cups carrots (shredded)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 chili peppers (any small, spicy chili pepper of choice, roasted and finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger (grated or minced)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Bring black eyed peas to a boil in 8 cups of water.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain peas and save water for cooking.
- Place eggplant sliced into a collider and sprinkle with salt. Let dry out for 5 minutes.
- Sauté the eggplant, 1 tablespoon of the chopped onion, 1 tablespoon of the grated ginger, half of the chopped chilies, half of the minced garlic, the green bell pepper, and 1 tablespoon of oil for around 5 minutes or until eggplant is browned.
- Remove eggplant and set aside.
- Add remaining onion, ginger, and chili pepper, reserved water, tomatoes, tomato paste, cayenne, and curry to the pot and mix.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add black-eyed peas, carrots, and rice.
- Simmer another 5 minutes.
- Add green beans and eggplant and simmer 15 minutes more, still uncovered.
- Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot and add hot sauce as you like.
#maindish #vegan #vegetarian #glutenfree