A Caribbean staple of fried dough
- 3 cups all-purpose
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 2-4 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons
butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable
oil for frying
- Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and work in the
butter with your fingers.
- Add 1 cup of water to the dry ingredients and mix until
- Sprinkle some extra flour onto a flat surface and knead the
dough until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a clean bowl and cover with a towel to sit
for at least 30 minutes.
- After dough has rested, heat the oil in a frying pan over
- Create small balls of dough and roll out the dough into
circles on a lightly-floured surface with a rolling pin or the palm of your
- Be sure not to make balls too thin.
- Pierce each piece of dough with a fork several times and
drop into hot oil.
- Fry on each side until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and drain on paper towel until it can be handled.
- Eat warm.