A Caribbean staple of fried dough
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 2-4 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and work in the butter with your fingers.
- Add 1 cup of water to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Sprinkle some extra flour onto a flat surface and knead the dough until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a clean bowl and cover with a towel to sit for at least 30 minutes.
- After dough has rested, heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Create small balls of dough and roll out the dough into circles on a lightly-floured surface with a rolling pin or the palm of your hand.
- Be sure not to make balls too thin.
- Pierce each piece of dough with a fork several times and drop into hot oil.
- Fry on each side until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and drain on paper towel until it can be handled.
- Eat warm.
Help us understand our audience
If you are in the U.S., please enter your five-digit zip code to help us better understand who uses our resources for educators.