Jiaozi - 饺子
- 2 packages circular dumpling wrappers (made from rice flour)
- 1/2 package sweet potato noodles
- 1/2 head cabbage (finely shredded)
- 3/4 block tofu (cubed)
- 1/2 large yellow onion (minced)
- 2 carrots (shredded)
- 4-5 dried shitake mushrooms
- 4 green onions (minced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- Olive oil
- Cover dried mushrooms with water
in a bowl and set aside to rehydrate.
- Bring a medium pot of water to
boil with a sprinkle of salt.
- Once the water is boiling, add
sweet potato noodles and boil for 10-15 minutes.
- While noodles are boiling, sauté
garlic with 1 tablespoon of sesame oil over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add onions and simmer for 3 or so
- Add in carrots and cabbage and
simmer until cabbage is translucent.
- Take veggies off the heat and let cool.
- In a separate nonstick pan, sauté
tofu with 1 tablespoon sesame oil over medium-high heat.
- Stir occasionally and cook until
each side of the tofu cubes are golden brown.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Take tofu off heat and let cool.
- Drain mushrooms and dice into small pieces.
- When noodles are ready, let cool,
then chop into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add noodles, veggies, mushrooms,
green onions, tofu, remaining soy sauce and sesame oil to a large bowl and mix
- Add salt, more soy sauce, and sesame oil to taste to your filling.
- Set a few dumpling wrappers out on
a flat surface.
- Brush a line of water around the
edge of each wrapper.
- Place a spoonful of filling onto
- Fold edges of dumplings together and seal closed.
- Place on a baking tray.
- Repeat folding process until you run out of wrappers.
- Heat a spoonful or two of olive
oil in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Place 7-10 dumplings in pan and
cook for a few minutes on each side until browned.
- Serve hot with spicy chili oil, soy sauce, or other dipping sauce of choice.
- Place extra dumplings on baking
sheets into the freezer.
- Once frozen, transfer to bags.
- Dumplings will stay good for up to 2 months in the freezer.
#snack #vegan #vegetarian #glutenfree
Recipe submitted by Reilly Knop - Peace Corps Volunteer, China (2014-2016)