A Kosovar pastry of dough and cheese traditionally cooked over a campfire.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 1/4-3 3/4 cups milk
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup plain kefir
- 1 stick butter, melted
- Whisk together each batter in its own bowl until they are free of lumps. Set aside at least an hour or overnight.
- Right before cooking, adjust the egg batter with flour or milk until it is between the thickness of crêpes and pancakes.
- Turn on the oven broiler and oil a large spring form pan.
- Put the egg batter in a squeeze bottle.
- Add one layer of egg batter to the pan. Spread with a spoon to cover the pan.
- Brown under the broiler for about 2-4 minutes.
- Spread first layer with a few spoonfuls of sour cream batter.
- Using the squeeze bottle, layer the egg batter around the pan like the rays of the sun and broil again.
- Once the spokes have cooked, brush with more sour cream mixture.
- Then squeeze more egg batter between the most recent spokes.
- Repeat process, broiling after every sour cream and egg batter layer until the pan is full.
- Drizzle honey and serve hot.
Recipe submitted by Anna Lena Wonnenberg - Peace Corps Volunteer, Kosovo (2014-2015)
Photos courtesy of @peacecorps.kosovo on Instagram