Sweet potato dumplings wrapped in banana leaves.
- 2-3 sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into large chunks)
- 3 1/3 cups flour
- 1 coconut (grated, or alternatively, 2 cups coconut flakes)
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Banana leaves (cut into squares)
- Strips of dry banana stem (or alternatively, non-toxic string)
- 1 cup milk
- Boil sweet potatoes for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Drain water.
- Mash sweet potatoes and set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix in brown sugar.
- Stir in milk to create dough.
- Add more milk or flour until the mixture is the consistency of cookie dough.
- Place small portions of mixture on banana leaves.
- Tie closed with strips of banana stem or string.
- Repeat to use all of the filling.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add squares and boil for around 30 minutes.
- Serve with Salt Fish to complete your Caribbean meal.
#snack #vegan #vegetarian
Help us understand our audience
If you are in the U.S., please enter your five-digit zip code to help us better understand who uses our resources for educators.