A delicious Mayan staple.
- 6 cups corn flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups hot water
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder).
- Add vegetable oil and water.
- Knead dough with hands until ingredients are well mixed.
- Add extra water or flour as needed.
- Shape into about 30 balls.
- Roll flat.
- Cook until tortillas brown or bubble on each side over a dry, flat pan on medium-low heat.
This dish is a staple food in Belize. Staples are foods that are eaten regularly, often daily or with every meal. In Belize, corn tortillas are served hot and used to wrap up food like chicken and rice.
Help us understand our audience
If you are in the U.S., please enter your five-digit zip code to help us better understand who uses our resources for educators.