A traditional Moldovan bread.
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups flour
- In a large bowl mix the warm water, sugar, yeast, and one cup of flour.
- Mix with a spoon until smooth.
- Let stand for about 15 minutes.
- Mix in the oil and the salt.
- Start adding the rest of the flour, mixing until it is incorporated and the dough comes together.
- Turn out onto a floured and oiled surface and knead until dough is smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover and let stand in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size.
- Turn out of bowl onto floured surface.
- Deflate the dough by kneading gently and let rest 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into six pieces and shape each piece into a rope.
- Braid three pieces into a loaf; repeat with remaining pieces.
- Place each braid into a greased loaf pan, cover and let rise until nearly doubled.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Turn out of pans and brush with a little oil.
Recipe submitted by Peace Corps Moldova staff.
Help us understand our audience
If you are in the U.S., please enter your five-digit zip code to help us better understand who uses our resources for educators.