Black-eyed Pea Fritters
Savory fritters made from fresh beans.
- 1 cup fresh black-eyed peas
- 1 egg
- 1/2 yellow onion (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper (use spicy pepper of choice, finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Black pepper
- Soak the peas in cool water for 10-20 minutes.
- With your hands in the water, rub peas between your palms to remove the skins, which will float to the top.
- Skim skins off and repeat the cleaning process until there are no more skins.
- Drain the peas and mash them with about 1/3 cup water.
- If the mixture appears dry, add more water, a few teaspoons at a time.
- Add egg, onions, chili pepper, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well.
- Shape mixture into tablespoon-sized balls.
- Heat oil in a large pan.
- Drop balls into oil and cook for around 5 minutes or until golden brown.
#smallplate #snack #vegetarian #glutenfree
Help us understand our audience
If you are in the U.S., please enter your five-digit zip code to help us better understand who uses our resources for educators.