Black Bean and Plantain Fritters
- 4 ripe, black plantains
- 2/3 cups dried black beans (or 2 15-oz cans)
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon West Indian hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 10 minutes or until onions are soft and golden.
- Add garlic, hot sauce, sauce, oregano, salt, and peppers.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove pan from heat and mash until smooth, adding water by the tablespoon.
- Leave skins on plantains and rinse.
- Place in large pot and cover with hot water.
- Cook over high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until skins start to open.
- Drain water and allow plantains to cool so you can touch.
- Peel off skins.
- Mash until smooth, making a soft dough, adding enough breadcrumbs to make a workable dough. Form the dough into 8 balls, leaving aside a small amount to use as needed.
- Flatten the balls into circles, about 1 inch thick.
- Spoon bean mixture into center of dough.
- Fold up edges of circle to make a crescent that encloses bean mixture.
- Add in pinches of dough to close crescents, as needed.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place the fritters in hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown on all sides.
- Reduce heat and cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until they are cooked through.
#snack #vegan #vegetarian