Armenian Yogurt Soup (Spas)
Served warm in the winter and chilled in the summer.
- 1/2 cup peeled wheat (use rice as an alternative)
- 1-2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups macun (plain yogurt)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 2 cups water or stock
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (chopped)
- 2 pats of butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Sauté onion in a large soup pot.
- Add wheat or rice and bring to a
boil with 1 ½ cups water.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer
and cover for 20 minutes.
- Let the wheat or rice cool, then
add the macun, water or stock, egg, and flour.
- Mix well until there are no lumps.
- Heat on low flame and stir occasionally
to avoid separation.
- Add cilantro and simmer for 5
minutes then serve.
Recipe submitted by Heatherly Lewis - Peace Corps Volunteer, Armenia (1995-1997)