A delicate scone with no jam or cream required.
- 3 1/3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or lemon zest
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 9 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup cold full cream milk
- 1 extra large egg
- In a large bowl cream the butter with the sugar.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Mix in milk.
- Add the zest of one lemon or add splash of vanilla extract to the mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour with the baking powder.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the flour mixture into the creamed mixture with hands until elastic.
- Add up to two cups of flour more to achieve desired consistency.
- Press dough flat with dusting of flour (1/4 inch thick).
- Cut dough in circles, using the rim of a glass or cookie cutter.
- Place circles on a greased baking tray sprinkled with a little flour.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a cooling rack.
Recipe and photo submitted by Katherine Helmick - Peace Corps Volunteer, South Africa
Help us understand our audience
If you are in the U.S., please enter your five-digit zip code to help us better understand who uses our resources for educators.