A roasted red pepper sauce.
- 2 pound red peppers (about 5)
- 1 medium eggplant
- 5 teaspoons freshly minced garlic
- 1/4 cup sunflower or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, plus one more to taste
- Ground pepper to taste
- Place peppers on hot charcoal grill and cook until blackened all over, 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer peppers to a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and cool about 20 minutes.
- Remove charred skin, seeds, and cores from peppers.
- While the peppers are cools, pierce the skin of an eggplant all over with a fork.
- Cook until skin darkens and wrinkles and eggplant is uniformly soft , about 30 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Remove eggplant from grill and let sit until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
- Trim top off eggplant and split lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, scoop out flesh of eggplant; discard skin.
- Place roasted red peppers, eggplant pulp, and garlic in a food processor.
- Pulse until roughly chopped.
- Add in oil, vinegar, and salt and pulse until incorporated and peppers are finely chopped.
- Transfer sauce to a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
#sauce #vegan #vegetarian #glutenfree
Recipe submitted by Peace Corps Armenia
Help us understand our audience
If you are in the U.S., please enter your five-digit zip code to help us better understand who uses our resources for educators.