Ackee and Saltfish
2 cups water
- 1 can ackee or 2 cups fresh ackee
1/3 pound saltfish – boneless/skinless salted cod or other
1 medium onion sliced
1 habanero or scotch bonnet pepper
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 medium tomato cubed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 scallions chopped
1/4 medium sweet bell pepper chopped
2 cloves garlic
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Place saltfish in boiling water and simmer for about 20
minutes to remove salt.
- Drain the fish, rinse under cool water, and squeeze dry.
- Break fish apart into medium sized pieces.
- While fish is boiling, heat oil in a large sauce pan on
- Then add the garlic, sliced onions, and scotch bonnet pepper
to the oil.
- Cook until the onion softens.
- Then add the bell pepper, scallion, black pepper, and
- Allow this to cook for 5 couple minutes.
- Then add the pieces of saltfish and cook for another 3-5
- Add tomato to the sauce pan and let it warm through, 1-2
- Open canned ackee, carefully add to a strainer, and rinse
with cold water.
- Add ackee to saucepan.
Recipe submitted by Peace Corps Jamaica Staff