GLOBE Earth as a System- Relationships Among Variables
- Students will learn to interpret data represented
graphically on a map.
- Students will learn to identify trends in graphic
representation of data, including extremes and variation.
- Students will compare and contrast the represented data
across regions of certain characteristics.
- Students will think critically on causes of certain trends.
Earth System Science Poster (either online version or printout): https://www.globe.gov/do-globe/for-teachers/earth-system-science-posters
NOTE: The small poster is a color version (340 KB) of the GLOBE Earth System Poster which can be printed on an office copier (using ~11x17" paper). The large poster is a full-size color version (51.9 MB) of the GLOBE Earth System Poster which can be downloaded for printing. The lowres version of the poster is the same size as the large one, but at a lower resolution and smaller file size (2.4 MB).
- Distribute the Month
labels to each group.
- Distribute the images to groups according to month. Each group will have images for all six variables for a single month.
- Ask students to identify
relationships among data for each month, using the essential questions as a
Framework & Standards
Enduring UnderstandingsNGSS: Student Performance Expectation (SPE):
- 2-ESS-3: Earth’s Systems, 5-ESS2
- MS-LS1 From Molecules to
Organisms: Structure and Processes
- MS-LS2 Ecosystems: Interactions,
Energy, and Dynamics
- MS-ESS3 Earth and Human Activity
- HS-LS1 From Molecules to
Organisms: Structures and Processes
- HS-LS4 Biological Evolution: Unity
- HS-ESS2 Earth’s Systems
- HS-ESS3 Earth and Human Activity
- Which regions experience the extreme
highs and lows for each variable?
- Which regions don’t experience the
extremes? Why do you think this occurs?
- What differences, if any, do you find
between variations of variables over the oceans versus variations in variables
over the continents?
- What amounts of insolation, surface temperature, cloud fraction, precipitation and aerosols characterize the world’s most vegetated regions for a particular month? Where is the greatest concentration of aerosols originating from and how would you characterize that particular environment based on the six images?