Making a Video or PowerPoint of the Community
To develop a presentation that provides an overview of key environmental issues in your community
- Video recorders (for example, in phones) or PowerPoint software
- Alternatives such as poster paper or a chalkboard can also be used
Varies: one to three 1-hour sessions
This project is a good starting point for deciding upon future service learning activities. Have your kids plan and put together a presentation about the environment and their community.
The presentation can follow this format:
- An introduction to the community
- The condition of water in the community
- The condition of soil in the community
- Biodiversity in the community
- Effects/impacts/contributions to climate change
Kids can also produce a radio program, make a video into a DVD, use a GPS community map, or build a community or club webpage.
This lesson plan is an activity from the Environmental Activities for Youth Clubs and Camps, a resource developed by the Peace Corps Office of Overseas Programming and Training (OPATS). It was contributed by Peace Corps/Costa Rica.