Video: Khachapuri from Georgia
Learn how to make Khachapuri, a traditional Georgian dish of cheese-filled bread.
- 6 oz. dough (see below)
- 8 oz. mozzarella, chopped
- 6 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- Egg yolk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/2 oz. Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 7 1/2 oz. all purpose flour
- 1/3 tsp. salt
- 1 1/3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 oz. unsalted butter
- Make dough: Add all dough ingredients into a large bowl and mix. Knead dough and let it rise for 30 minutes. This should produce 12 oz. of dough.
- Cut mozzarella into 1/2-inch slices and crumble the feta cheese.
- Make egg wash by whisking yolk with 1/4 cup of water. Set aside.
- Divide dough into two portions. Flatten dough and add mozzarella and the feta cheese to the center of the dough.
- Fold edges over and pinch ends closed to make pouch.
- Cut an opening in the center of the pouch.
- Brush the egg wash on the edges of the dough.
- Place on baking sheet and bake in a wood fire oven (or electric oven) for 15 minutes at 450°F.
- Take out of oven, crack an egg into opening, and add pepper.
- Place back in oven for an additional 5 minutes.
Help us understand our audience
If you are in the U.S., please enter your five-digit zip code to help us better understand who uses our resources for educators.