Video: Feijoada from Mozambique
Learn how to make feijoada, a stew of beans with sausage and pork. The name feijoada comes from feijão, meaning ‘bean’ in Portuguese.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 sausages, cubed
- 1 pound pork, cubed
- 2 cups red kidney beans (traditionally made with black beans)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 bay leaves
- piri piri to taste (hot sauce)
- Chop vegetables (garlic, onion, tomatoes, carrots) and set aside.
- Cube sausage and pork into bite-size pieces.
- On medium heat, sauté garlic and onion in vegetable oil.
- Add tomatoes, carrots, sausage and pork and sauté until meat is browned.
- Add 1 cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Add the kidney beans and bay leaves into the mixture.
- Add piri piri sauce to taste (or substitute your favorite hot sauce).
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Serve over rice.
Help us understand our audience
If you are in the U.S., please enter your five-digit zip code to help us better understand who uses our resources for educators.