"Declaration (of a Kgomotso Girl)" Lesson
Students will read and discuss "Declaration," a poem written by a Peace Corps Volunteer serving in South Africa. Students will focus reading and discussion on issues of gender as they appear in the poem.
- Students will deepen their knowledge about the lives of people in South Africa.
- Students will discuss how elements of poetry such as tone work to convey meaning.
- Students will discuss similarities and differences between their lives and the lives of the poem’s characters.
- Kgomotso: a group of people in South Africa
Assign students to read "Declaration" silently. Then select a student or a group of students to read the poem aloud. As a class or in small groups, use the following questions to guide discussion:
- Who are the narrators of this poem? What tone do they use?
- What do you imagine the lives of the speakers of this poem are like?
- What do they hope will be different in the future?
- How does your life compare to the characters in this poem?