"Declaration (of a Kgomotso Girl)" Lesson
Learners will read and discuss "Declaration," a poem about girls' fight for their dreams in South Africa. Learners will focus their reading and discussion on issues of gender as they appear in the poem.
- Learners will deepen their knowledge about the lives of people in South Africa.
- Learners will discuss how elements of poetry such as tone work to convey meaning.
- Learners will discuss similarities and differences between their lives and the messages in the poem.
- Kgomotso: a group of people in South Africa
Assign learners to read "Declaration" silently. Then select a learner or a group to read the poem aloud. As a class or in small groups, use the following questions to guide discussion:
- Who are the narrators of this poem? What tone do they use? Why do you think they use this tone?
- What do you imagine the lives of the speakers of this poem are like?
- What do they hope will be different in the future?
- How does your life compare to the characters in this poem?