Video: Ceviche from Ecuador
Learn how to make ceviche in a few simple steps! Ceviche is a popular Latin American dish made by marinating fish or shellfish with citrus and seasonings.
Try this version of ceviche from Ecuador!
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- Hot pepper, to taste
- Juice of one lemon and/or lime
- 1 pound fresh tuna (high-grade), cubed
- Salt, to taste
- Optional: ketchup
- Combine red onions, tomatoes and cilantro in a bowl.
- Add the juice of a lemon or lime. Lemon will add a sweeter flavor; the lime will be more tart.
- Add hot pepper and salt to taste.
- Cube the tuna in to small cubes. Slice the tuna against the grain. You can substitute cooked shrimp instead of fish.
- Add tuna to the bowl and mix. Marinade the mixture for 20 minutes in a refrigerator. The acidity of the citrus will cook the fish.
- For traditional Ecuadorian style, add ketchup to taste.
Help us understand our audience
If you are in the U.S., please enter your five-digit zip code to help us better understand who uses our resources for educators.