This year has been unlike any other on a global scale. The Covid-19 pandemic has affected each one of us quite profoundly. I would like to express my gratitude to the Peace Corps family and partners, in Ecuador and around the world, for the difficult sacrifices made in 2020. As we continue battling the pandemic and taking care of our families, friends, and ourselves, we are also preparing for the safe return of our Volunteers.
Despite all the challenges of the past year, Peace Corps Ecuador is focusing on the successes through the sustainability we have observed for the 2020 Annual Report.
- We observed sustainability in the projects that continue in Volunteer sites, despite their absence.
- We observed sustainability in the commitment of the Volunteers that continue working in their communities remotely.
- We observed sustainability in the commitment of Volunteers who serve in their communities in the United States, a commitment that brought them to the Peace Corps to begin with…to be of service as global citizens.
Peace Corps Ecuador will continue in 2021 in anticipation of the prudent return of Volunteers as we celebrate our 60 years in Ecuador and the world.
- We will continue working with our three programs: Health and Well-being, Youth and Families Development, and Teaching English as a Foreign Language.
- We will continue with our plans to expand geographically to the Amazon, Galapagos and Manabí (that was so affected by the 2016 earthquake).
- We will continue with our commitment to include cross-cutting elements to address the consequences of the Covid-19 pandemic.
It is certainly not the same being without our Volunteers. Yet we have been making good use of the time to search for more effective approaches to partnership and community development. Our partners have signaled confidence in Peace Corps Ecuador with 12 agreements signed or renewed in 2020. Our employees have proven to be resilient, creative, adaptive, and effective during this challenging year, by working remotely and advancing the goals of the Peace Corps to serve the disadvantaged populations of Ecuador.
We will be ready and grateful for the Volunteers’ return in 2021, as we celebrate 60 years serving the people of Ecuador and the world!
Michael A. Donald
Peace Corps Ecuador