Contracts and Vacancies
As the preeminent international service organization of the United States, the Peace Corps sends US Citizens abroad to tackle the most pressing needs of people around the world. Peace Corps Volunteers work at the grassroots level toward sustainable change that lives on long after their service—at the same time becoming global citizens and serving their country. The Peace Corps is an Agency within the United States Embassy Mission, and seeks to hire a Personal Services Contractor for a full-time position as:
PROGRAM MANAGER FOR TEACHING ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE (TEFL)
The Program Manager for TEFL is responsible for planning, developing, negotiating, implementing, managing, and evaluating Peace Corps project activities in the TEFL sector or program, supervising a TEFL Program Specialist and from 35-50 US Peace Corps Volunteer professionals. Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to project design; project review and implementation; Volunteer support; training; technical support; safety and security; representation, resource development, host country agency relationship development and regular maintenance.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Licenciatura).
- A minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible professional experience of which at least 2 years is in the field of English Education, TEFL or English as a Second Language (ESL).
- English fluency. Internal English test administered.
- Spanish fluency. Internal Spanish test administered.
- Valid Dominican driver’s license and experience driving outside of the capital city.
- Valid Dominican residency or citizenship documentation (Dominican Cédula).
- Ability to travel up to 60% of the time to identify and develop potential project sites and support Volunteers.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural team.
- Demonstrated ability to manage/supervise a team.
- Ability to write clear, precise reports and documents in both English and Spanish.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Modern Languages, Linguistics, International Development, Education, Curriculum Development or Psychology.
- Formal education and/or technical degree (certificate) in English, TEFL or ESL, Education, Curriculum Development or other related field.
- Master’s Degree or substantial course work in foreign languages, English, or related fields.
- Experience teaching English to non-native English speakers.
- Experience in program development and implementation.
- Experience working with rural communities in the Dominican Republic.
- Experience working with international development agencies, local NGOs, or Public Sector.
- Experience working with Volunteers.
- Knowledge of the social, political, economic characteristics of the Dominican Republic.
- Coaching and listening skills.
- Developed high-level contacts in the public and private education sectors.
Peace Corps will consider all responsive applications received in relation to this announcement regardless of the applicant’s race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), marital status, national origin, non-disqualifying disability, age, lawful political affiliation, affiliation with an employee organization, or other non-merit factor.
The selected candidate must possess the ability to pass a background check and maintain a security clearance. This position is paid at local rates. The annual compensation for this personal services contract position ranges from RD$ 1,962,448.00 to RD$ 3,139,938.00 plus fringe benefits, normal initial hire is near the beginning of the range. Please send resume in English (2 pages max) and cover letter, highlighting relevant experience to: [email protected] specifying the position you are applying for by November 5th, 2023. A detailed position description is available upon request. Selected candidates will be contacted by the Human Resources Unit.