Peace Corps Belize is seeking to engage the local market on the requirements listed below.
Peace Corps Medical Officer
OPEN TO: All Interested Candidates
POSITION: Peace Corps Medical Officer
OPENING DATE: 23 October 2019
CLOSING DATE: 15 November 2019
WORK HOURS: 40 hours plus alternate 24 hour on- call duty with the other PCMO
The United States Peace Corps seeks a Medical Doctor or Nurse Practitioner to serve as a contracted Peace Corps Medical Officer (PCMO) based in Belize. The PCMO will provide health care to U.S. Peace Corps Volunteers in Belize and will work under the supervision of the Peace Corps Country Director in Belize and the Peace Corps Office of Medical Services in Washington DC.
- Routine primary health care to Peace Corps Trainees and Volunteers including treatment of common illnesses and injuries in accordance with Peace Corps medical guidelines
- Individual short-term counseling on disease prevention, adjustment issues, stress management and cross-cultural problems
- Response to emergency medical situations
- Member of Senior Peace Corps staff in Belize
- Ability to conduct trainings on health related issues
- Site visits to Peace Corps Volunteers throughout Belize
- Administrative tasks of the medical office including budget management
- Inventory of medical supplies and equipment
- Alternate 24 hour on- call duty with the other PCMO
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Graduate of accredited school, MDs must be a graduate of a school listed in this link, Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research https://search.wdoms.org/
- Current license to practice
- Relevant clinical experience in primary care after medical school
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral /written English.
- Experience in managing mental health issues including counseling of patients
- Experience in training design and presentation of health related material
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook
- Program management, administrative experience
- Ability to work effectively as part of an intercultural team
- Hardworking, reliable and diligent with good inter-personal skills
- Willing to travel to sites in Belize
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Must be able to obtain an American visa
Interested applicants for this position must submit the following:
- A completed PCMO Application form, a completed PCMO applicant skills survey, a completed Privileging form. The applicant must complete this request for privileges depending on their professional qualifications.
- A cover letter
- A resume or C.V. that includes:
* Professional positions held, identifying duties, responsibilities, dates of employment and reason for leaving
* Education and training, identifying universities attended, dates of attendance, degrees and diplomas.
* Professional licenses, certificates, registrations
* An accounting for periods of unemployment longer than three months
4. Three professional medical references, with at least two being from medical colleagues who have directly observed
the applicant in a clinical setting. (One must also be from the current employer.
5. Photocopies of:
- Diploma from medical school.
- Professional medical license. If the license does not have an expiration date, written confirmation must be submitted directly from the issuing authority. Please note, if a license is not required, rather, the medical diploma is the license to practice, written confirmation, issued directly from the professional medical board, Ministry of Health or other appropriate regulatory authority establishing that the candidate is properly credentialed for medical practice, is required.
- Professional certification if Nurse Practitioner
6. The candidate should also provide the following:
All documents must be in English. Official translation is not required.
Compensation and Duration: Base compensation range starts at BZ$60,717 plus benefits, and negotiable based on
previous experience and qualifications. Based on satisfactory performance, the contract is renewable (annually). Upon
completing each contract year with satisfactory performance, the incumbent is eligible for an increase in the base salary
at time of contract renewal.
Application Process/Deadline: Overseas Contracting Officers may give preference to personal services contract (PSC)
candidates residing in Belize or who are citizens of Belize at the time of application.
Submit completed application package and copy of valid driver’s license to: [email protected]
For application materials and a complete statement of work, please send a request to [email protected]
Additional Information: For additional general information regarding the Peace Corps, please visit our website
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin,
political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, membership in an employee organization, or other nommerit
The United States Peace Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer.