- Africa, Malawi
- 30 minutes
Thick Maize Meal Porridge
Materials & Procedures
- 1 cup of ufa (maize flour) for two persons
- 2-3 cups water to each cup of ufa
- Use a wooden spoon to stir the nsima.
- Heat the water in a pot until lukewarm (test by letting a drop fall on the back of hand).
- Mix a little ufa with the lukewarm water, stirring well to make sure there are no lumps.
- Bring to the boil, stirring well, and let it boil gently for a few minutes until the mixture looks like a thin, transparent porridge.
- Then sprinkle the remaining ufa over the top, a little at a time, stirring continuously to avoid lumps forming, until the desired consistency is reached.
- Keep stirring until the nsima is smooth and well cooked.
- Serve in a dish accompanied by relish, fish, meat, or vegetables.