Recipe: Kalam Dolmasi or Cabbage Dolma
- Eastern Europe and Central Asia, Azerbaijan
- 1 hour 15 minutes
- Classroom Project
Materials & Procedures
- ½ kilo beef
- 4-5 small onions, diced
- 1 slice bread
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- fresh or dried basil
- peeled chestnuts, mashed
- salt and pepper to taste
- large cabbage leaves
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- tursh (sour sauce)
- Grind meat in meat grinder, then grind onions and bread. Add a little butter if meat is lean.
- Mix with rice, cinnamon, basil, chestnuts, salt, and pepper.
- Pull off large cabbage leaves. Lightly blanch leaves in boiling water, just until pliable—do not overcook. Salt lightly.
- Wrap small patties of meat mixture in the cabbage leaves.
- Place in a pot and cover with water until dolmas are just covered.
- Boil for 20-30 minutes.
- Cook a fresh tomato with some green pepper, turmeric, tursh, and a little salt.
- Pour sauce over the cooked dolmas when mostly cooked and boil for a few more minutes.
World Wise Speakers
Invite a Peace Corps volunteer into your classroom to share what it's like to live a global life by sharing stories, cultures and knowledge.