Recipe: Ginataang Kalabasa or Squash with Coconut Milk
- Pacific Islands, Philippines
- 30 minutes
Materials & Procedures
- 1 kilo squash, cut into cubes
- 1/4 kilo shrimp, shelled and deveined OR 1/4 kilo of chicken, cubed
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 head of garlic, minced
- 2 T ginger root, crushed and minced
- 4 T cooking oil
- 2-3 hot peppers or sili
- 2 c coconut milk
- 1 c coconut cream
- 2 c chicken stock
- 2 T shrimp paste
- Sauté garlic and onion. Add ginger, tomatoes, squash, chicken stock, shrimp paste, and coconut milk. If you are using chicken instead of shrimp, add the chicken at this time.
- Boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes, then add coconut cream, peppers, and shrimp.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Serve with rice.
World Wise Speakers
Invite a Peace Corps volunteer into your classroom to share what it's like to live a global life by sharing stories, cultures and knowledge.