Recipe: Coconut and Green Bean Salad
- Pacific Islands, Vanuatu
- 45 minutes
Materials & Procedures
- 400g green beans, trimmed
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 80 ml (1/3 c) plain yogurt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ coconut, flesh freshly shaved
- 1 T brown mustard seeds
- 30 curry leaves
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil, and cook the green beans for two to three minutes until they are brilliant green.
- Drain and refresh the beans under running cold water.
- Put the chilies, ginger, yogurt, lime juice, salt, and coconut in a bowl. Toss together.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a small frying pan.
- Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When the seeds begin to pop, take the pan off the heat.
- Add the seeds and leaves to the coconut mixture with the green beans.
- Serves four as a side dish.
World Wise Speakers
Invite a Peace Corps volunteer into your classroom to share what it's like to live a global life by sharing stories, cultures and knowledge.