What Do Volunteers Do?
The type of work a Volunteer does is ultimately determined by the needs of a host country and the potential of a Volunteer to contribute to those needs and to the Peace Corps' mission. There are a wide variety of Volunteer positions to fill throughout the world; however, nearly all Volunteers fall under one of the following general categories.
- Education Volunteers introduce innovative teaching methodologies, encourage critical thinking in the classroom, and integrate issues like health education and environmental awareness into English, math, science, and other subjects.
- Youth in Development
- Youth in development Volunteers engage in a wide variety of outreach projects concerning at-risk children or youth, adult literacy, health or HIV/AIDS education, environmental awareness, development of libraries and resource centers, and information technology.
- Health Volunteers educate and promote awareness issues such as malnutrition and safe drinking water.
- Community Economic Development
- Community economic development Volunteers work in education, private businesses, public organizations, government offices, cooperatives, women's and youth groups, and more. Information and communications technology (ICT) Volunteers help communities capitalize on technologies by teaching computer and multimedia skills, developing regional databases, and implementing networks for non-governmental organizations, businesses and government offices.
- Agriculture Volunteers work with small farmers to increase food production while promoting environmental conservation practices.
- Environment Volunteers work on a wide variety of activities, from teaching environmental awareness to planting trees within a community.
- Many Volunteers will contribute to HIV/AIDS initiatives during their service, regardless of their area of expertise.
- Food Security
- 40 percent of Volunteers are involved in some capacity to support food security through projects in health and nutrition, agriculture, and the environment.
- Earth Day
- Peace Corps Volunteers think global and act local in communities around the world every day.
- Stomp Out Malaria
- Peace Corps Volunteers working with local people, NGOs and the President's Malaria Initiative to eradicate the disease.
Last updated Jan 30 2014