The Peace Corps Master's International program offers the unique opportunity to pair graduate studies at one of more than 80 U.S. academic institutions with Volunteer service abroad. Established in 1987, Master's International equips Peace Corps Volunteers with the education and skills to serve successfully abroad—and, in turn, helps you earn your advanced degree.
As a prospective student, you apply both to graduate school and the Peace Corps. After completing your coursework on campus, you will travel to your country of service to start training, then service. Project and site assignments are made based on the needs and requests of the host country. While abroad, your primary responsibility is your assigned project and community.
Your degree may require the completion of a thesis, paper, or other culminating project, developed under the direction of university faculty members. Likely you will need to be flexible—and even creative—when transforming your Volunteer service into your graduate work, which you can start while you are abroad.
After finishing your Peace Corps service, you will return to school to complete any remaining requirements for graduation. You’ll bring back the advantage of having conducted academic and significant development work abroad. Further, Master’s International students return to the United States with a broader worldview—and the skills and education to continue to make a difference at home.
- Partner Schools
- Search the database of schools and programs, or view a list of all partner schools.
- Become a Master’s International Student
- Learn about the benefits of the Master’s International program and how to apply.
- Become a Partner School
- Learn about the institutional benefits of Master’s International and how to join the program.
- Current Master’s International Students
- Information for students currently enrolled in the Master’s International program.
- Current Master’s International Partner Schools
- Information for schools currently affiliated with the Master’s International program.
- Meet a Master’s International Student
- Learn from Master's International students how they combined their graduate studies with Peace Corps service.
- Academic Resources
- Peruse this educational archive that includes master's theses and reports written by former Master's International Peace Corps Volunteers from 2000 to present.
Last updated Sep 23 2014
Find Local Events
Peace Corps recruiters appear at information sessions, campus and community events, and career fairs. Pick a state and find a Peace Corps event near you.
Share your service experience through stories and photos.