Jump to Content or Main Navigation

Scenic images from the field


Look through these lists to find answers to the most frequently asked questions. If you don't find the information you need, the Office of University Programs staff is available to answer your questions by telephone at 855.855.1961 ext. 1440 and by email at fellows@peacecorps.gov. Office hours are 9:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m. (Eastern time) Monday through Friday. The office is closed on all federal holidays.

  • Who is eligible to participate in the Coverdell Fellows Program?

    Any returned Peace Corps Volunteer who satisfactorily completed service has lifetime eligibility to become a Peace Corps fellow. For the complete guide to eligibility, go to the Eligibility and Admissions section of this website.

  • Why should I choose a Coverdell Fellows Program university?

    Although other universities may give consideration to your Peace Corps service, our Coverdell Fellows Program partner universities are committed to providing you with a wide range of benefits, including financial support and a career-related internship. They recognize the value you will bring to their classrooms, campuses, and communities, and have worked with Peace Corps staff to design programs that will help make your graduate school experience as rewarding as possible.

  • Will the Coverdell Fellows Program give me money to go to the university of my choice?

    The Coverdell Fellows Program isn't a scholarship program. The program includes financial support for fellows, but the type and amount of assistance is decided by the partner university.

  • How do I apply to the Coverdell Fellows Program?

    Each partner university has its own application process and deadlines. Review the partner universities page for schools and programs that interest you, then look for application requirements and contact information. When you send in your application, be sure to indicate to the university that you are applying to the Coverdell Fellows Program. You do not need to submit anything to the Peace Corps.

  • Will I receive academic credit for my Peace Corps service?

    Each university partner determines its own benefits, which may include academic credit or waivers for Peace Corps service. Check the university’s website for specifics regarding academic credit and any other requirements.

  • Can I serve as an international intern as a Peace Corps Fellow?

    All Peace Corps Coverdell fellows are required to complete an internship in an underserved American community. Generally, an "American community" is defined as being within the 50 states. However, because of the U.S. government's relationship with some other countries, an internship abroad may satisfy the requirement. Go to the Office of Insular Affairs at the Department of the Interior for a list of included jurisdictions.

  • Is there a limit to the number of universities that can participate in the Coverdell Fellows Program?

    No. However, at some point it may become limited by Peace Corps resources.

  • How do I get a program started on my campus, or at a university I am interested in attending?

    The Peace Corps adds universities to the Coverdell Fellows Program on a rolling basis. Becoming a partner requires a good deal of time, effort, and cooperation between the university and the Peace Corps. The first step is to review the information on this website about how to become a partner university. Then, have a school representative talk to someone in the Peace Corps Office of University and Domestic Partnerships.

  • Are there other resources available to returned Peace Corps Volunteers?

    The Office of Returned Volunteer Services and the Peace Corps regional offices are eager to facilitate returned Volunteers' transition to post-Peace Corps life. Returned Volunteer Services assists with employment and education resources, staying connected with other returned VVolunteers, Third Goal activities, and Peace Corps Response. For more information about what Returned Volunteer Services provides, visit www.peacecorps.gov/engage. To find your regional office, please click here.

  • How do I obtain a copy of my description of service?

    To request a copy of your description of service, which is needed for your fellows application, please contact Volunteer and PSC Financial Services via email at certifications@peacecorps.gov or call 855.855.1961, ext. 1770.

  • How does being a fellow affect my federal noncompetitive eligibility status?

    For recently returned Peace Corps Volunteers, your noncompetitive eligibility status to apply for federal jobs may, at the hiring agency's prerogative, be extended up to three years from the date of your close of service if you are a full-time student.

Last updated May 06 2015

Graduate School
Program Overview

Download (PDF)

the Paul D. Coverdell
Fellows Program


Contact the Coverdell Fellows Program manager at:
Peace Corps
1111 20th Street NW
Washington, DC 20526

Phone: 855.855.1961 ext. 1440

Email: fellows@peacecorps.gov

Find Local Events

Peace Corps recruiters appear at information sessions, campus and community events, and career fairs. Pick a state and find a Peace Corps event near you.

Peace Corps Media Library

Media Library

Share your service experience through photos and videos.

Visit the Media Library