Jump to Content or Main Navigation

Scenic images from the field

Returned Volunteer FAQs

Here you'll find resources for continuing involvement with the Peace Corps' from administrative necessities such as keeping your records up-to-date, to more enjoyable opportunities such as finding RPCV groups in your area. FAQs fall into the following four catagories:

Loose Ends | Staying Connected | Employment | Federal Employment

Loose Ends

  • How can I get assistance with student loan issues, taxes, a verification of my Peace Corps service, or a copy of my Description of Service (DOS)?

    For readjustment allowance questions; verification of Peace Corps service for an employer or college (verbal and/or written); copies of your Description of Service (DOS); income tax questions and W-2 forms; loan deferment, cancellation, and economic hardship certifications; and savings bonds, contact:

    Volunteer and PSC Financial Services
    855.855.1961, ext. 1770, or 202.692.1770

  • Where can I get assistance with Early Termination issues?

    For ET consultation/personal counseling, or if you wish to ET while in the United States on home leave or emergency leave, contact:

    Counseling and Outreach Unit
    855.855.1961, ext. 1470 or

  • Where can I get assistance with medical issues?

    If within the first six months of your COS you are having a particularly difficult time with your re-entry adjustment and feel you need a medical evaluation, contact the Office of Medical Services to discuss your situation with a medical professional.

    For general medical issues, contact the Office of Medical Services:

    Office of Medical Services
    855.855.1961, ext. 1500 or 202.692.1500

    Learn more about general RPCV health benefits.

    To obtain copies of your medical records, contact:

    Medical Records Department
    855.855.1961, ext. 1502 or 202.692.1502

    For medical billing/reimbursement, contact:

    Health Benefit Program

    For RPCVs with medical problems resulting from their Peace Corps service; requests for authorization of evaluation or further diagnostic work-up of service-related conditions; authorization for treatment after diagnosis of injury or illness incurred while a PCV; or other illness or disability issues related to your Peace Corps service, contact:

    Post Service Unit
    855.855.1961, ext. 1540 or 202.692.1540

    For Federal Employees Compensation Act (FECA) claims or re-entry difficulty, contact:

    Office of Medical Services
    855.855.1961, ext. 1500 or 202.692.1500.
    Additional information is available from the FECA Benefits page.

  • How can I change my address?

    Use our online form or send an e-mail to: rpcvupdate@peacecorps.gov

    You may also send your information via regular mail. Include your name, address, and country and years of service to:

    Peace Corps
    Office of Third Goal and Returned Volunteer Services
    1111 20th Street NW
    Washington, DC 20526

  • Is there literature available for family members of recent RPCVs that discusses transition issues?

    Peace Corps has a very helpful publication called "On the Homefront" (PDF), which was written specifically for the families of Volunteers. The handbook addresses issues of readjustment.

Last updated Jan 22 2014

RPCV Career Link

(formerly Hotline)

An interactive board of employment and educational opportunities for returned Peace Corps Volunteers.
RPCV Career Link



Peace Corps Digital Library