Jump Start Accelerated Teacher Certification Program
February 11, 2013
Purchase, New York
- The campus centers around Manhattanville’s “Castle” which looks out over the green of the quadrangle to the renovated residence halls, academic buildings and the housing complex for faculty and staff.
- Thirty minutes from Manhattan, the campus is an oasis of quiet beauty.
About the Award
Manhattanville College’s Jump Start program, an accelerated program that combines a master's degree and NY State teacher certification, is a great fit for returned Peace Corps Volunteers. Jump Start gives RPCVs intensive coursework for seven months and then gets them into the classroom where they can be working and earning a full teacher’s salary, putting to immediate use the teaching and community organizing experience they bring to the urban classroom.
Much of urban teaching is learning how to recognize and effectively use the cultural capital that students bring with them to the classroom. Native languages, dialects and cultural practices need to be seen as assets rather than deficits. This may be natural for many RPCVs who have spent years overseas.
Coverdell Fellows will also meet once a month in a group with the Director in a “social seminar” to discuss issues of common interest.
- MA Childhood/Special Ed (Grades 1-6)
- MA English/Special Ed (Grades 5-12)
- MA Math/Special Ed (Grades 5-12)
- MA Science/Special Ed (Grades 5-12)
- MA Social Studies/Special Ed (Grades 5-12)
- MA Spanish (Grades 7-12)
- MA Teaching ESL (TESOL All Grades)*
Manhattanville College is offering a 50% tuition discount to attract RPCVs.
For more information on Jump Start
- Jump Start has a strong TESOL program, which is a good fit for returned volunteers.
- Successful completion of Peace Corps Service.
- B.A./B.S. (no education coursework required).
50% reduced tuition for entire program plus no application fee
For more information and to apply, visit http://www.mville.edu/graduate/admissions/application-process.html.
The application for graduate school of education requires:
- Personal essay
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- $75 application fee (waived for RPCVs)
- Current resume
Please email Mikki.Shaw@mville.edu or call 914.323.7125 for more information and to arrange an interview (phone interviews are possible).
The Office of Third Goal and Returned Volunteer Services offers a wide range of career and transition support services for returned Peace Corps Volunteers (RPCVs):
Check out our full Calendar of Career Events
Watch recorded webinars about various career transition topics
Update Your Records
Share your current contact information so we know where to reach you
Third Goal Resources
Request resources for your Third Goal activities