Summer Trip Leader
March 15, 2014
Various Locations, Ecuador
- Sustainable Summer runs environmental leadership programs for high school students in Ecuador, Costa Rica and the Galapagos. These programs typically include travel throughout the region.
- Works with the rest of the trip leader team to help implement our unique approach to environmental education and experiential learning, and facilitates positive group dynamics and a safe, efficient travel experience.
- Lives with students and staff during the entire course of the program.
- Directly supervises, supports, and mentors high school-age students during the course of the summer.
- Participates in activities.
- Facilitates discussion about curricular concepts.
- Is familiar with program regulations and enforce program policies and procedures as necessary.
- Serves as a positive role model to students.
- Participates in daily staff meetings.
- Supports Senior Trip Leader with tasks as needed.
- Assists in orientation and other event coordination and facilitation.
- Completes reports and evaluations as required.
- Addresses issues of student conduct, discipline, health.
- Ensures safety and well-being of students at all times.
- Attends mandatory staff orientation and training.
- Performs other tasks and duties as assigned by Senior Trip Director or Sustainable Summer management.
- Must be at least 22 years old and have completed a B.A./B.S. program to be considered.
- Spanish language proficiency is required for all positions, as is a demonstrable interest in sustainability and environmental education.
- A background in environmental science or policy is viewed favorably.
- Prior experience as a youth wilderness guide, mentor, teacher, education professional, camp counselor, or coach is required.
- Current CPR and Wilderness First Aid (or other advanced medical certification) will be required prior to employment.
- Responsible, energetic applicants who are enthusiastic about our mission and are prepared to serve as positive role models for participants.
- Must be willing and physically capable of living in rustic conditions in a developing country while taking responsibility for the safety and well-being of a group of high school students for three-five weeks.
Temporary; Internationally based
Cash stipend of $250/week, plus the cost of all travel expenses including airfare.
For more information and to apply, visit www.sustainablesummer.org/employment.