Technical English - Agricultural Sciences
Purdue University and Winrock
- The four-month assignment is based in Faranah, Guinea. This is a USAID Farmer to Farmer project called Agricultural Education and Market Improvement Program (AEMIP). It involves working with the Institute for Agricultural and Veterinary Sciences.
- Purdue University and Winrock International are facilitating the program.
From April through July 2014, in Faranah:
- Works with the evaluation team to identify level of English language training relative to agriculture already received by AET faculty and students.
- Works with the evaluation team and stakeholders to develop an outline of needed scientific and technical language related to agriculture in Guinea.
- Works with the evaluation team to develop measurement indicators to determine if key agricultural terms and concepts are understood.
- Updates the Purdue IPIA English-French glossary of agricultural terms, and develops curricula for teaching scientific and agricultural terminology and concepts in English.
- Works with the evaluation team to measure scientific and technical language proficiency at intervals throughout the four-month assignment.
- Works with the evaluation team to develop recommendations for AEMIP for implementing additional English language training at the AET institutions, including identification of potential volunteer and consultant assignment themes and topics.
- Two years' experience in agricultural education in a classroom and/or agricultural extension setting.
- Demonstrated experience with designing and implementing an English language curricula for agricultural education, including introducing scientific/technical agricultural terminology and concepts.
- Understanding of academic institutions and programming in one of the following areas: agriculture, rural development, natural resources management, forestry, ecosystems management, biodiversity, or related disciplines.
- Experience developing and executing applied learning/practical learning projects in language training for faculty and students within an academic institution.
- Teaching English as a Second Language experience.
- French language fluency.
Full-time; Internationally based
For more information and to apply, email your cover letter and CV/resume to James Murren at email@example.com.